Depending on the season, adjust spices: right now, a little bit more heat with fresh ginger and some extra cumin and fennel seeds might help support good digestion.
For 4 servings:
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1/2 cup yellow split moong dal
- 1 tablespoon ghee or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 cups of water (more or less).
- seasonal veggies: asparagus, baby kale, spinach are great
- toppings: lemon squeeze, cilantro or parsley, shredded coconut
Soak lentils and rice in water for 20mn or more (ideally for a few hours or overnight), and in the meanwhile heat the ghee in a saucepan, add whole spices and ginger and allow to become fragrant (about 5mn).
Rinse lentils and rice 3 times, then add turmeric and salt to the pan, stir to toast, then add rice and lentils and stir to coat with spices.
Add 2 cups of water, bring to a boil and cover with a lid, cook on low heat.
After 10 mn, add veggies (some asparagus and spinach is lovely right now) and another 1/2 or full cup of water. Cook another 5-10mn with lid.
Decide the consistency you want by adding more or less water.
Serve, add a squeeze or lemon and your toppings.
Enjoy in good company (including yourself) ❤️.