(for 2 to 3 servings):
-1 cup French lentils
- a couple of carrots, cut in small slices
- ghee or olive oil
- about 3 cups broth or water
- 3 green cardamom pods or 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt (to taste, depending on whether you get broth or water)
- black pepper
- cooked basmati rice
- topping options: red peppers, tomatoes, fresh herbs, fresh goat cheese.
Put half of the lentils on a plate, spread into one layer and sort for stones and grains. Repeat. Rinse under cold water.
Add ghee to saucepan, add carrots and cook to soften for 5 mn. Crush the cardamom pods slightly, add to the pot and add cinnamon. Add lentils and broth/ water, then add salt to taste and pepper
Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, put a lid slightly ajar and let cook for 20 to 30 mn, checking now and then, mixing around.
Serve on top of basmati rice, add 1/4 teaspoon ghee and toppings.